Thursday, July 21, 2011

My 9th post. Or "The One where she rants and tells you her vision statement."

 O. M G. Well HEY!

Lookie there it’s July 21st and we haven’t chatted in like, EVZ!

Geez, it’s been a busy summer. It’s been a fantastic summer!

In fact, I don’t think I can adequately absorb/digest/weigh this summer until it’s over. So I won’t try to. But, I’m pretty sure it’s the best yet/ever.

I’m trying to not be too tired. And I’m also trying to do everything I want to do.

After I left New York in January I knew upon my return I wanted to make use of all the opportunity for growth/improvement/skill-strengthening that New York provides in a way that other cities just don’t. So I enrolled in dance classes, voice lessons, and even a stand-up comedy class.

Now if you’re confused and you’re all “But Hil, like, aren’t you in grad school studying communication? What the what? I don’t get it. Just decide already! I’m bored of you not fitting in a specific category. Auguagh!”

First, slow your roll. Second, here’s my explanation. My BHAG if you will: (Oh snap. Yep, she did!)

I’m not satisfied with the explanation that to be an actor you have to love acting and nothing else. I’m not satisfied with my only option other than performing being waiting tables. I like other things and I will go criZAZY knowing that for the rest of my life I’m performing a fraction of the time and doing something where I don’t have to use my noggin and sick vocab skills (alright I could benefit from a Word-A-Day. I said it.) Do you get what I’m saying? It just doesn’t seem to be that out of the question to get a master’s degree in communication, build my expertise on topics like social media and cognitive dissonance theory, and still pursue performing and artistic-like things too. So for right now I’m in the “off season” of my performing career. I can’t audition hardcore because I’m committing the next 9 months to grad school. Even though the idea of booking something random does indeed sound more fun when I look at life big picture-style I know I want this master’s degree and this is the best time to get it. So when I’m finished with it I will be more knowledgeable academically and practically in the communication field and I will have also been working diligently to be ready to audition professionally again. When I come back to the pro acting scene next year I want to get an agent and start auditioning for both legit and commercial work. There is a great big world out there and the possibilities are endless. By gauging where I was mentally and experientially circa four years ago I can predict that I’m going to run across some really unimaginable opportunities in the next few years.

In other words: I’m being mentored by a female professional comic who was a finalist on Last Comic Standing and we’re kind of related and I didn’t even know her when I watched her on Last Comic Standing when I was 18.

The world is one beautiful possibility.

So anyway, now that I’ve written all that I’m recognizing that my vision may be better shared across a table in a coffeeshop with a warm vanilla latte in hand but hopefully you’re catching on.

In addition to my slow and steady approach to performing that I’ve been doing lately, I’ve also gotten to do some freelance writing. That is always good. I would really love to do that in a that’s-how-i-pay-the-rent kind of way. One day I hope I do. Right now it's more like, the utility bill than the whole rent but hey, at least it's paying for my showers! And too, right now I’m doing more than I did last year so I think that’s a step in the right direction. I’ll let you in on a little secret: I may or may not be the guy who writes telemarketing scripts and I LOVE IT. It’s the ultimate persuasive conversation! I’m into it.

What else can I tell you…

Today the heat index rose to 105 in New York and I’m officially o.ver. i.t.

If I have to be side-swiped by one more sweaty stranger I may karate chop someone. I’m sick of it! I’m so sick of being so close to people who I don’t know! I have a strong sniffer and these people don’t smell that good! I just don’t like it and I’m ready to go back to having a car and personal space. Please and thanks.

It makes me wonder: would I go bonkers living here for more than 6 months straight? I’ve yet to do that. Could I survive? Would I just be cranky and pushy all the time? These days I’m going for “sweet.” (Full disclosure: Since my boyfriend is the ultimate sweet I’m really realizing I’m more sweet ‘n low than sweet so I’m trying to become more sugar/spice/everything nice) And I just don’t know if “sweet” and “Hil in the city” can coexist and live in harmony! Ah, musings.

Come ON! Gorge.
In other news my fashion taste is officially evolving into something less bare feet/flowers in the hair and more Kate Middleton classic princess. I just can’t help it! I think my style honestly fluctuates between flower child and classy dame and right now I’m totally on classy dame! Give me a true waist and a classic periwinkle to the knee and I’m yours.

This blog post has been all over the place but I think this is me apologizing but saying “NO APOLOGIES.”

Come see me perform at Gotham Comedy Club on August 1st at 9:30pm? I’m SO EXCITED and SO PETRIFIED!

4 comments:

  1. It's almost like you read this to me that's how clearly I could hear your voice! So glad you went back to your BHAG and I am super sad I can't see you perform stand up! Is mama fern going to make it? P.s. I can see the style changing, the last 2 wedding dress choices were to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My darling friend Hilary,
    I LOVED this post. I could really hear you speaking through your writing. And I don't even care that it was all over the place {just like this comment is!}. Also, I don't want you to fit in one specific category! You have NEVER fit into one category so why start now?? I'm so happy for you that you have such a sweet boyfriend. I would love the opportunity to meet him although I have NO idea when that would be....Confession: I had to Google BHAG. What a fantastic concept! Love you, friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kpete No she isn't. :( But I do have a ton of friends and extended family who are going to come. I wish you could come tooo! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

    @kate Thank you for "getting" me! :) :) I really do wish you could meet JC too! I feel like it will happen sooner or later. For now you can see random stuff he says on twitter :) @jclagares. BHAG was a Jerry-ism (not my dad, the *other* one. I don't usually (ever) reference him. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh a Jerry-ism. I hadn't thought about him for a long time but the other night a Sacramento friend (who happened to go to Liberty, small world, right?) said something that bordered on innappropriate. As soon as she did, she raised her head and said, "I'm sorry, Jerry." I thought this was hilarious and a little ludicrous. Thought you'd get a kick out of it... ;)

    ReplyDelete